Saturday, June 20, 2009

Breaking waves

The sea waves crashing against the rocky shore, the breeze wafting cool against my skin, the sun hidden just right under a cloudy but not overcast sky; I really couldn’t care less.

But I do. I do care. Because 3000 miles into the sea, I know you’re there. Floating aimlessly on your self-made raft. You told me you wanted to rule the sea; it had been your dream, you said.

Idiot.

Why did you have to do that? Why did you have to let your selfish pride get the better of you? Were you not contented with our little strip of beach? Were you not contented with our simple lifestyle? Were you not contented… with me?

Did I not treat you nicely enough? Everything that made you smile I did. Everything. Every single thing.

That damned ambition of yours. Why couldn’t you just give it up? Isn’t it a lot easier if you just gave it all up? Did you really want to “conquer the sea” so badly? We could have been together if you didn’t!

We could have been together…

That day, when you took to the sea; nobody told me. Nobody knew, or at least that was what everybody told me. Liars. I know they were hiding the truth from me. I know they knew I would be sad if they told me. They knew it would hurt me a lot. At least they knew.

Did you?

That day, I was supposed to tell you… It was the day I had gathered up the courage. I was going to confess my feelings for you, hoping you’d sweep me off my feet and take me away, make me the happiest person alive. Did you know how much I valued you? Did you ever consider how much I liked you? Loved you?

But you didn’t know, did you?

The sea waves crashing against the rocky shore, the breeze wafting cool against my skin, the sun hidden just right under a cloudy but not overcast sky; I really couldn’t care less.

A voice out in the sea, a shout of excitement.

I stood up and gazed into the distance. That voice, that familiar voice, I know it couldn’t have come from anybody else…

First I saw the waves breaking.

Then I saw the raft.

Then I saw a dark figure standing on it. I couldn’t have mistaken; it was you!

You looked stupid waving frantically like that, but it didn’t matter.

You’re back!

You’re really back!

Then I saw somebody else. Somebody else on your self-made raft.

She took your hand… Kissed you in the cheek and waved like an idiot with you.

I knelt; looked down on what was once our rocky beach. Before my eyes, the waves were breaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment










I

love you

dearest I love you


true



And till I can my frail heart will


always be for you